Friday, May 18, 2012

Sarai by Jill Eileen Smith





The beauty of historical fiction is that it brings the past to life; this is never more evident then in the story of Sarai and Abram.  Many have read the accounting of their lives in the Bible, but it is entirely different matter to read about their lives in context with the cultural practices and landscape that the author describes.  
The book was very well written, however, I had a difficult time reading it.  Sarai's pain over her barrenness and the seemingly endless wait for the Promised Child really affected me.  That is a sign that Ms Smith wrote so well that she provoked an emotional response from me.  When Sarai offered Hagar to Abram to create the child they so longed for, I had to put the book down a lot because it hurt me to feel Sarai's torment in sharing her beloved Abram in such an intimate way.  
The book was very complex.  It wove the lives of those that were a part of Sarai and Abram's lives into the story seamlessly.  Hagar's story is also told in this book.  A maid taken from Egypt, Hagar's life with Sarai and Abram was decidedly different from all that she was accustomed to.  I appreciated that the author didn't make her a nameless character, but shared her feelings and struggles as she came to terms with her role.  As with Sarai's story, I also ached for Hagar.
Throughout all the struggles these characters endured it was evident in the book as well as the Bible that God was faithful.  I am glad that I read this book because I needed the reminder to trust God fully and not take things into my own hands as Sarai did.  Despite Sarai (and Abrams) waywardness, God loved and blessed Sarai, just as he does for us now.  
Sarai is an insightful and thought provoking read.  
"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 
Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".  

No comments:

Post a Comment