Friday, February 17, 2012

The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden

Libby is such a beautiful character that I wish I could actually meet her.  I don't think that I would possess even a fraction of her grace if I was to return from vacation to find a foreign family inhabiting my home all the while claiming to have the legal right to do so.  Although Michael is a big brute by first appearance, we soon find out that he is so much more than that.  He is a man who loves his family and is a protector that feels his only option is to move his family to America and into the house that he inherited.  His character is interestingly complex, on one hand he is a rugged brute and on the other he is a gifted perfume maker.  Michael made me think of scent in a way which I'd never thought of before.  He is at times unsophisticated and yet highly educated.  I went from being angered with his behaviour to rooting for him to succeed.  What a feat that the author managed to make him an antagonist and protagonist at the same time.

Libby captivated me at every turn with her kindness and grace.  She epitomizes what it is to love one's enemy.  It intrigued me that her deficiency did not detract from her beauty, but rather it made her all the more likeable.  She must have had quite a struggle growing up in the shadow of such a brilliant, eclectic professor father, yet she prevailed through the grace of God.  I felt her insecurities and dreams and wanted her to be loved for who she was.  It was difficult to discern who I should root for to 'win' the house because both Libby and Michael had my preference at one time. 

This was a beautiful love story with intrigue as well.  Well written and fast paced, this book is a must buy! 

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".  

No comments:

Post a Comment